The SAS administration (and user) interface
The SAS administration interface is broken. I had a meeting with someone from the "Club Reflex", here are the problems they have:
- No way to delete an entire album.
- Deleting more than ~3 pictures is broken.
- The pagination is too small. They suggested fake pictures at the start and at the end of each page to go to the next/previous one (if applicable). It seems like a good way to show that there are more pictures (people don't seem to notice the pagination).
- How are pictures sorted? Seems like it's based on the upload order, which isn't ideal. Solutions would be datetime-based or filename-based (their cameras create filenames which can be sorted so that the result is the same as datetime sorted, but datetime-based would be better for when they have more than one camera).
- The upload process is broken. They can't upload a full album (a few gigabytes) without an error (which one?) and need to restart the whole process. However, duplicates are not handled properly and so they need to delete duplicates once everything is uploaded.
- No way to hide albums so once the upload is started, it's visible to everyone.
- Moderation requests have no message associated to them.
We should start by trying to find (replicate and/or find on sentry) the errors that occur during deletion and upload. We should be able to try it directly on the prod server as it's pretty idle ATM (maybe add the visibility parameter first). :)
- Deletion should maybe be made async with requests to an API, the issue is probably a timeout as deleting many images might be too expensive. However, it seems weird that it bugs at ~3 images, I would have expected deleting 3 images taking only a few hundred milliseconds and therefore not being a problem.
- One quick way to deal with the upload process issue would be to avoid re-uploading the same pictures (based on a hash or the filename) on the front-end. Currently, they have to restart the whole process and therefore have as much chances for it to fail. If the front-end ignored already uploaded images, they would just have to restart the process with all images selected and it would only what is not yet uploaded. We need to deal properly with images which did not finish uploading!
- Prettifying the SAS would be a rather easy step: remove the frames, borders and box-shadow (or reduce it largely).